Disclaimer: If you haven’t seen the movie yet, don’t read beyond this point! There are spoilers below.
I’ve been waiting for what seems like forever
to see Mockingjay! I pre-ordered the DVD from Amazon back in January, and it finally shipped. I knew it was supposed to arrive yesterday, and as soon as I saw the mail truck, I dashed down the driveway and pulled a yellow envelope from the mailbox. My wait was over. Of course, after all that waiting, I had to watch it! I was pleased that the movie exceeded my high expectations and followed the book closely! 🙂
Things I Liked:
1. The Hanging Tree scene was one of my favorite scenes. It was so well done and stuck very closely to the book. Jennifer Lawrence’s singing voice is dead on for Katniss. It’s become one of my favorite songs to listen to.
2. I liked how they showed Peeta in each of the clips from the Capitol as slowly getting worse and worse. It was heartbreaking, but I thought they did a really nice job illustrating what the Capitol was doing to him.
3. The “If we burn, then you burn with us!” scene was so chilling and amazing!
4. I liked that they added Effie back into Mockingjay. I really love Effie’s character and was disappointed at the lack of Effie in the book. I’m glad she was in the movie, at least!
5. Buttercup was adorable. I’m glad they left the scene in where Katniss and Prim entertained everyone in the shelters with Buttercup chasing the flashlight.
6. Finnick and Annie’s reunion was perfect. As I’m more fond of Finnick and Annie as a couple than even Peeta and Katniss, I’ve been looking forward to the reunion for forever. It was just like I pictured it when I read the book. 🙂
Things I Didn’t Like:
1. They changed Gale from the book. In the movie, he talked about Peeta being a coward, where in the book, he never did that. Gale sounded much more like a jerk in the movie, in my opinion.
2. The District 13 schedules were underplayed. They had a much bigger role in the book than the movie, and I was looking forward to seeing that.
3. I’m a bit biased because Finnick is my very favorite character in the series, but he was really cut from the movie. He had a lot of lines in the book, but he barely got any screen time.
4. While I liked having more of Effie, I didn’t like that she completely took over the roles of Octavia, Fulvia, and Venia. I really liked the scene in the book where Katniss found them imprisoned and horribly mistreated by the District 13 guards. When Katniss freed them, it showed Katniss’s tender side and the fact that she recognized not all Capitol citizens were evil.
5. The beginning of the movie where Katniss was hiding from the guards was a bit different than the book’s beginning of her standing in a destroyed District 12. I personally preferred the book’s beginning.
What did you think of Mockingjay? What did you like about it and what didn’t you like? Let me know in the comments below!