First of all, I’m sorry I didn’t post last week! Last Wednesday was my birthday, and I had to take the PSAT in the morning and then went straight from there to the theater to see The Scorch Trials with my best friend, so I had a hectic day! 🙂
Speaking of The Scorch Trials, I had high expectations for this movie. I really enjoyed the first one, and I’m a huge fan of James Dashner’s novels. I went into the theater looking forward to seeing one of my favorite books brought to life … and that’s not quite what I got.
Spoiler Alert: If you haven’t read the book or watched the movie, don’t read beyond this point!
Things I liked:
1. The casting (at least for the Gladers) was really well done. The actors they chose fit the description of the characters in the book.
2. The Cranks were horribly scary and gross, but I did think they were well done and fit the book’s description (even if they did go a little overboard on the grossness).
3. Even though the movie didn’t follow the book at all, I did enjoy it, though more as a stand-alone film than one based on the novel.
4. My friend and I quite enjoyed Newt’s scarf and fingerless gloves. We thought was hysterical for some reason! XD
Things I did not like:
1. Everything they did with Brenda. In the book, Brenda was immune to the Flare, had a long, black ponytail, worked with WICKED, and wasn’t nearly as annoying as she was in the movie. In the movie, Brenda was infected by a Crank, had short, black hair, rebelled against WICKED, and was annoying.
2. Jorge was waaaaay older than I pictured him. I imagined him to be in his late 20s, early 30s, and in the movie he was in his 50s or 60s.
3. Bertha was not a flying barge ship as she was in the book, but a truck.
4. The entire plot of the movie was totally different than the book. The Gladers were made out to be escaping from WICKED in the movie, however, in the book, they were being put through another round of trials by WICKED. Also, in the movie, they said they had a cure for the Flare. The plots of the last two books of The Maze Runner series hinge on the fact that there is no cure for the Flare.
5. Minho was captured at the end of the movie, which really irritated me because Minho was by Thomas’s side throughout the whole series!
6. Teresa never betrayed Thomas in the book. She was being forced by WICKED, and rigged it so he only felt betrayed. However, in the movie, she very clearly betrays him.
7. Rat Man didn’t look like a rat! I was so looking forward to seeing him brought to life, and I was disappointed by who they chose. 😛
So, what did you like about the movie? What didn’t you like? Comment below and let me know!