I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. I was first introduced to him when I was younger through an abridged version of three of Holmes’ cases (“The Adventure of the Copper Beeches”, “The Red-Headed League” and “The Adventure of the Speckled Band”), and I read it dozens of times, so much in fact I practically had it memorized. When I finally read the “real” thing, I was greatly impressed by the way Sherlock Holmes “popped” out of the page and seemed like a real person. I can’t think of another character where people consistently wonder, “Was he real?” He was so real to his readers, in fact, a secretary had to be hired to answer all the fan letters sent to Holmes at 221B Baker Street! So, I’ve written a list of some of the reasons why I think Sherlock Holmes is such a great character. Here it is:
1. Sherlock is a brilliant detective using logic and deduction to solve cases no one else can.
2. Sherlock fails. In a couple of his cases such as the “The Yellow Face” he does not correctly solve the mystery.
3. Sherlock Holmes has a drug problem, adding to his fallibility.
4. Holmes’ friendship with Dr. Watson shows another side to his character, making him less a flat, fictional character and more like a human being.
5. Holmes’ has some very predictable habits such as not eating during a case, smoking a pipe, and playing his violin.
6. Sherlock loves wearing disguises and revealing the solutions to cases with great drama.
7. Holmes has many admirable qualities such as his gentlemanly behavior and taking on cases even when his clients can’t pay.
8. Holmes has some not so admirable qualities such as his rudeness.
9. Sherlock has his own moral code, breaking into houses to solve a case and letting some escape the law.
10. We really don’t know much about what Sherlock looks like. It leaves a lot our imagination.
I love Sherlock Holmes and I am grateful to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for creating him!
By the way, I started watching Granada Television’s The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett over the summer. 🙂 I found Jeremy Brett to make a fantastic Holmes! The show stuck pretty closely with the books, and Brett totally made Holmes come even more alive for me.
Thanks for reading!